Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Martha Marcy May Marlene

I watched this movie about a week ago.



I went in not knowing what it was about.  I think that was the best way to go about it, so I won't say much in the area of plot.

What I will say is that I really liked how it was written.  It jumps back and forth between the main character's past and present a lot.   The present is very confusing; the way she acts, the situation she's in, her relationships, etc.  Yet, as her past is revealed you begin to understand why she is this way.  At least, you think you do.  The confusion is purposeful, I believe, with the intention of trying to help you understand her world and then, at least for me, realizing that there is no way any of this could be understood.

Elizabeth Olsen is a really nice actor in this film.  I was pretty surprised to see that.  The rest of the cast does a great job of giving a 'remote' feel to things.  John Hawkes is kind of Winter's Boney but not really, but maybe, but if so then this time he is pro-meth, metaphorically speaking.

I must clarify that I love movies that you would not call "pick-me-ups".  For some reason, when I think about it, I come down to movies such as No Country for Old Men and The Shining for being my favorites.  They aren't happy endings, but I find some sort of satisfaction in watching sad things happen on screen.  Maybe they help me appreciate my own life.  I mean, could you imagine being Llewelyn Moss in No Country?  I could.  You know why?  Because it's a great movie and it made be run the way Llewelyn ran.  It made me wince when Llewelyn get's shot and almost eaten by a dog.  I felt sorry for Llewelyn.  But most of all, I was thankful that I'm not Llewelyn.

Also, I think that loving these films might have more to do with their specific looks than their stories.  The stories are great, but the look of a movie really stays with me.  Martha Marcy May Marlene has a look that stays.  And to push it even further, I would add that the subject matter and the creative and insightful way that it was portrayed are probably bigger reasons for why this movie keeps peculating in my brain.

Finally, the final scene is subtle and I love it.  I want to talk about it with someone.  Anyone.

So, if you can relate to any of what I am saying and find sad/thriller/dramatic movies interesting, then climb into your Delorean, head back to 1993 and pop this video cassette into the ol' VCR and watch it.

PS. This film is rated R, so you know how that goes.

No comments: